7.04.2011

Lessons in letting go

DSC_0039

Lesson 1: This baby likes to crawl on the sidewalk. Without shoes. After having crawled through the sprinkler. Let go.

 

DSC_0051

Lesson 2: This baby will find where the water and the dirt meet, and will mix them. Then play in them, and probably eat them. Let go.

 

DSC_0080

Lesson 3: It takes a while for this baby to warm up to Papaw (and Opa, too). Don't force it, it will happen. Let go.

 

DSC_0131

Lesson 4: This baby is happiest when naked, and happier the closer she is to naked. Clothes are irrelevant. Let go.

 

DSC_0172DSC_0187

Lesson 5: You will never get any two members of this family to look at the camera, smile, or have their hands away from their faces. Photograph anyway. Let go.

 

DSC_0225

Lesson 6: Beauty is in imperfection (like  fresh-picked, sun-warmed strawberry slime all over your face). Let go.

DSC_0228

5 comments:

  1. Love this post.

    I, too, need to let go. I would want to run after the baby saying, "Don't crawl on the sidewalk! You'll hurt your knees!" and "Wipe the strawberry off your face so I can take a decent photo!" I constantly want to "improve" everything, yet everything is ALREADY perfect in a non-prefect way (yes, I'm talking to you, strawberry goo). Virgos are very very bad at "letting go."

    Sigh.

    best,
    MOV
    (ps-- you new place looks great!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capricorns, too, MOV! I've come to terms with the water, but the sidewalk crawling is something I haven't quite wrapped my mind around. Knee pads?
    Perfect in a non-prefect way is exactly right, and really it's a shame that mothers (and women in general) can't let that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, and as I suspect you know after perusing my blog that we have similar philosophies. Sometimes, though, for me, following the advice is harder in practice than philosophy.

    But this one was easy for me: http://familybed45.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-thing_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, Jacob - that picture is amazing!

    I remember in one of my childhood homes there was a mudroom/laundry room on the back side of the house. I tried to come in one afternoon probably looking something like that, and my mom wouldn't let me in the house, instead insisting that she hose me off outside before I was allowed in.

    I didn't mind being hosed off, but I was quick to point out that the room was called a "mudroom" for a reason...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to let go at times, but you make good points. Nice pics. She is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...