5.16.2011

the rhubarb conundrum

The Mountain Man and I bought a lot of rhubarb at the farm stand on Mother’s Day. We both love rhubarb, but we always argue about how to prepare it. I want jam and crisp, he wants cobbler and compote.

I decided to split the difference between a delicious crisp and a gross cobbler, and make up some version of rhubarb bars.

I found a simple recipe and got to modifying.

First, I chopped up about 3 cups of rhubarb. For me it was 2.5 stalks – of the 50 I bought. Oh boy. I’ve got some more cooking to do. DSC_0330

 

Process 1/3 of a cup of sugar in the food processor, to make it like powdered sugar. Close enough.

Add 1.5 cup of almond meal and 2/3 of a cup of cold butter, cubed. Pulse away until it looks like wet sand. almond crumb

 

Press the crumb mixture into a baking pan. I just grabbed my giant baking pan, which is making a thin crumb layer. I should have used a smaller pan so I got more crumb in every bite! Maybe I’ll do a do-over.DSC_0327

Bake the crumb at 350 for about 13 minutes until it’s bubbling and starting to brown.

Meanwhile, beat 2 eggs in the bottom of a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of almond extract, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of flour and combine. Add your rhubarb and mix.DSC_0329

 

When the crumb is baked, pull it out and pour the rhubarb mixture right on top. Gently spread it, as the crumb isn’t really solidified. DSC_0335

 

Return the pan to the oven and bake for 35 minutes. DSC_0337

 

Let it cool in the pan on a trivet or wire rack. Once cool, cut into squares and serve. DSC_0355

We like to enjoy the tartness of the rhubarb, so I used less sugar than any recipes called for. If you don’t like the sourness of rhubarb you can increase the sugar.

Some vanilla ice cream would make this company-worthy as dessert. Or some crème fraiche would make it breakfast.

DSC_0368

I had to send these to work with the Mountain Man so that I didn’t eat them all. I’m pretty sure he ate them all in his truck on the way to work.

We’re going to have to make another batch. And a rhubarb pie.

I’ve already got another batch of bars in the oven, all the rhubarb chopped and pie dough chilling in the fridge.

I’ve decided I want to put a skylight in my kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...