4.15.2011

when my spirit needs words

Occasionally I need words to inspire, comfort, remind me to be calm.

The staying calm part is big for me. I don’t like it when I can’t control outcomes, can’t plan 3 or 5 steps ahead. Calm.

I wanted to share some of those words with you:

May everything we create be filled with peace and joy, love and light.  May we grow in wisdom and health and strength so that we can extend peace unto all.  May we cherish no ill feeling toward anyone so that all can live in peace.

~Vijay Elarth

I attended a yoga class a few years ago instructed by Vijay. He surprised me when he walked in. I couldn’t quite believe that this short, tubby bald white guy was going to teach me anything. But he proved to be the best yoga instructor I had encountered.

He closed class with this “prayer” and it hit me right in the gut. I don’t know what it was about those words that were so meaningful at the time, but something about it was perfect. After the first class I emailed him and asked him to send me his prayer – I wanted to read it over and over again. My life felt a little chaotic then, and that prayer was soothing.

Shortly after I attended his class I had to have surgery and couldn’t practice yoga for a while, and then he wasn’t teaching any longer. I don’t know what happened to him, but his words have stuck with me.

Now, life is chaotic again. I don’t know quite who I am as I continue to be forged by motherhood. I can’t keep up with the expectations I have for myself for work or my volunteer positions, and I can’t decide whether now is the right time to buy a house or a new car. Chaos and uncertainty don’t sit well with me.

So I find myself opening up a word document, blank except for this:

May everything we create be filled with peace and joy, love and light.  May we grow in wisdom and health and strength so that we can extend peace unto all.  May we cherish no ill feeling toward anyone so that all can live in peace.

And then I close it, close my eyes, breathe, and keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...