2.10.2011

Emergency Dinner!

It was 6:00 and I hadn’t started anything for dinner. I normally have to start by 5 in order to have dinner ready by 7 when the Mountain Man gets home.

Not because I make 2-hour meals every day, but that I get interrupted in the process and it takes 2 hours to cook a 15-minute pot of quinoa.

I was planning to make borscht last night, but was so engrossed in work that I never roasted the beets and shredded the cabbage. Then it was too late! The beets need an hour to roast, and then time to cool before I can peel & shred them. There was no hope.

Shit. I had had a plan!

I was able to get a solid 4.5 hours of work done and one load of diapers – and that was my whole day. And the only way I was able to get some much work done was that my sister played with the Pie while I worked. And because I neglected everything else. I looked down. I was pretty sure I had slept in that shirt I was wearing.

I had had a plan!! Waaaaaah!

I stumbled around the kitchen for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to cook.

I opened the fridge and freezer over and over again. I had groceries for 3 planned dinners this week, but they would all take too long! Tuesday’s roast lamb leg would become gyros, but I needed to make tzatziki. I had the goods for chicken marsala, but it takes too long! I opened the cupboards. Noodles, wasabi peas, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, soy milk.

That is not dinner.

I decided that I think better with clean counters, so I loaded the dishwasher and ran it, then hand-washed the pots, pans and knives, and cleaned the counters and the sink.

OK, it’s 6:40. Now I can think about what to make for dinner.

Ack. It’s 6:40. We had quinoa yesterday, not time for potatoes… OK Noodles. I put a pot of water on.

Nothing is defrosted! Pork cooks fast. I put some on a plate in the microwave to defrost.

We need veggies. I happened to have cucumber, tomato, red onion. Greek salad. I also had a little container of Beecher’s cheese curd, a nice substitute for feta. DSC_0215

I mixed up a little bit of flour with some salt, pepper, cayenne and herbs de Provence. DSC_0214 

I dredged the now-defrosted pork and threw it in a pan. DSC_0216

But what to do with those noodles? No sauce, and I don’t want them plain.

Browned butter and parmesan!

I dropped some butter in a little pan to brown. Just let it go until it bubbles, swirl it around, and when it’s brown and smells nutty it’s done. DSC_0218

And I shaved some parm.DSC_0220 

And we had dinner. Crusted pork, browned butter and parmesan noodles, and a Greek salad.DSC_0222 

The Mountain Man came home as I was dumping the noodles in.

He poked around in the kitchen.

“No borscht?”

I was still feeling frantic.

“Tomorrow honey, I’ll try again”

“But it’s just beets. What happened?”

“Well, I worked for 4 hours!”

“And…?”

I tried not to get mad. He was just asking. I had promised borscht, and he had been looking forward to it all day.

And then he came home to… emergency dinner.

“I guess I’ll go for my jog. We can eat when I get back.”

And he came back, gave me a big kiss, and thanked me for always making him delicious dinners.

I swept the unwashed hair off my face, tucked it back into the ponytail. I straightened the shirt I had slept in last night and tried to make it look like I had managed to put a bra on. (I hadn’t).

I kissed him back.

“You’re welcome.” I said. “We’ll have borscht tomorrow.”

And I still have so much work to do, I thought.

I’ll start dinner at 3. No. 10am. Then it’ll get done for sure.

Shit. It’s already 9, and I haven’t had breakfast.

4 comments:

  1. this could have been my night last night. we had something very similar, except our salad wasn't greek. it was a little wilted butter lettuce, tomoatoes, and carrot sticks. i did spend some time and actually make a raspberry vinegrette! oh, and i'm from BBC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Welcome & thanks for reading!

    Wow, I haven't made my own dressing since before the Pie was born... but that's why I love greek salad. Just dump some olive oil and some balsamic on there and it's good to go!

    Glad you can relate... well, not glad really, but happy to have someone with me to share this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very delicious! Thanks for always making such tasty dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lucky for you i enjoy cooking (most of the time) and it's really nice to make dinners for someone who is appreciative of them. love you, mountain man.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...