1.13.2011

Sure it’s hard, but is it worth it?

I’ve been really thinking about the statement that so many moms utter when you ask how they’re doing with their babies.

It’s hard, but it’s worth it.

And this strikes me as so odd. Somehow I don’t really see the “worth it” part yet. There isn’t a lot of payoff for me, and although it’s gotten a bit easier, I’m still not entirely convinced it’s a decision I would make again. I don’t regret my decision, but I don’t know if I would do it over or again.

My mountain man and I often talk about it, at the end of the day, when we’re tired and trying to fall asleep. We look at the clock and think “OK, if I fall asleep RIGHT NOW I can get 6 hours of sleep, assuming the Pie doesn’t keep us awake”. And we know she will. And I tell him that I don’t know if I would make this choice again – that I don’t know if I’m willing to have another baby.

I know, that’s kind of jumping the gun. And I know that once the Pie is two or three and not a little babe anymore I may need to have a baby in my arms again. But if I am able to remember how it is now, I’m not sure I’ll be willing to do it all over again.

And it’s not that I’m depressed – I get through the day, there are even happy moments, but most of the day is just an attempt to get through a to-do list. It’s actually a rather unhappy existence. I don’t have friends near me, I am isolated with a baby and don’t see other people most days (even sometimes for days or a week at a time, unless I go to the grocery store). I never have a break and I haven’t done anything fun for myself (alone or just with the mountain man) since our anniversary in September. And I’m not really complaining – I chose this. I could have chosen to go back to my office job, put the Pie in daycare, formula feed so that I didn’t have to be the one to do every feeding, hire a babysitter, go out more. But it’s just not how things have panned out, and not what I have chosen. It’s important to me to be home with the Pie, to not have her in daycare, and I am so thankful that I was able to take on a small job working from home. But when I don’t have the opportunity to step away from the day-to-day drudgery of it, it’s hard to understand what “worth it” means.

I certainly have fleeting moments of contentment and happiness with the Pie, and she makes me smile & laugh, and I like how she watches me so intently and looks to me for assurance and comfort. But I don’t get a lot of validation from my day-to-day experiences. I can’t say that I’ve accomplished anything, that I solved anything, that I improved anything, or that I had a payoff. I can’t stand back and look at something that I worked for come to fruition. It’s just an never-ending task.

I’m not going to say “Don’t get me wrong, I love my kid” because I hate that statement and I don’t need to minimize my discontent with a validation that I do, in fact, love my baby. But I think this is one of those things that I will have to struggle through, with occasional moments of bliss, a lot of moments of unhappiness, and at the end of my life think that it was worth it, the best thing I ever did.

So what makes people say that it’s worth it now, when they’re in the middle of it? What is worth it? Am I missing the gene for appreciating my circumstance? Are other people getting more personal validation from changing diapers and wearing dried spit-up? Are people better able to stand back and look at themselves than I am? I’ve always been very introspective, but in this case I can’t step away from my situation and see it with some distance of perspective.

I hear mamas say that they are grumpy, unhappy, having a bad day, and then their baby smiles or says something cute and it all “melts away”. I don’t have that melt moment. I have a moment of guilt seeing my baby try, the only way she can, to improve my situation in order to get better care. I feel guilty that my baby encounters a crabby or dissatisfied mama and has to take it upon herself, using tools that evolution has given babies to ensure good care, to turn my mood around so that I can continue to care for her. But it doesn’t work. My dissatisfaction doesn’t magically dissipate when the baby smiles. There are still dirty diapers to be washed, dinner to be cooked, showers to be fantasized about.

And really – if it weren’t the case that mamas easily became dissatisfied and unhappy in general, why would babies be programmed with the skills to remind moms that they are cute and loveable? If babies were not such a burden, would they have the ability from birth to make us think they love us? The “cuddling” instinct, “smile” grimaces, cooing, big eyes and mouths, general cuteness – these things are all evolutionary protections built into babies when they are most needy. But come to think of it, if babies are instinctually able to do these things, that means that they’re supposed to work on the mamas for more than just the flash of the smile. So maybe I’m just impervious to baby tricks.

DSC_0275

In the scope of human history, mamas are more isolated and overwhelmed now and in American culture than ever before or anywhere else. Being alone with a baby all day long, being almost solely responsible for her unceasing needs, while trying to retain some sense of self is not an equation for happiness. Interestingly, there isn’t postpartum depression in village-oriented cultures. There aren’t moms at home alone, with pots boiling over on the stove and babies crying and laundry piled up, feeling overwhelmed and out of control. People are around to help mamas – they aren’t alone. So by this argument, those evolutionary, innate protections against poor care shouldn’t be necessary. If a mama is overwhelmed, there should be a village full of other women to help her care for her baby. And in most of human history there has been.

So what is it that makes it worth it to these mamas, in the thick of it? Are they really more positively affected by these smiles than I am? Am I just impervious to the baby’s innate ability to turn a mama’s mood? Or are moms saying this to try to convince themselves that they are happy, to reinforce the idea that they know that at the end of it all, they will think it’s worth it?

And today is my birthday, which I hadn’t thought much about in the days leading up to it. It was just another day  on the calendar filled with feeding, laundry, dirty diapers, spit-up, play time, nap routines, cooking dinner, errands. But last night I was thinking about what I had envisioned my 30th birthday to be, before I had the Pie. I didn’t think I wanted to have kids until after the mountain man and I were married. Really I wasn’t convinced that I wanted kids, even at our wedding. And then biology took over, and even though my head said no my instinct to procreate said YES.

I had always pictured myself, the urbanite that I was, spending my 30th birthday in a dark, hole-in-the-wall faux-swanky bar like my dearly beloved and sorely missed Chez Gaudy, having a drink and appetizers with my friends at candle-lit tables, and rolling our eyes at the snarky hipster waiters in their tapered-leg jeans and their too-tight ironic t-shirts, rocking whatever version of facial hair was in vogue for people with college degrees trying to look working class to fit in with their low-wage job and the accepted falsehoods of their neighborhood. (Oh hello, Capitol Hill.) But maybe this day, and how the day is so different from what I had envisioned it to be, is making me think more about what “worth it” means, and what it is, and where I can find my “worth it”.

Things have gotten easier – but I still am not convinced yet that it’s “worth it” on a day-to-day scale. I wouldn’t want to be without family as I age, but plodding through the daily grind isn’t satisfying. Maybe it’s because I haven’t been able to give up by desire to keep a sense of my former self alive. If I am unwilling to limit my identity to my role as a mother, can I be fully satisfied with my choice to be a mom? And being an at-home, babywearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping mom only makes me spend more time being a mom and less time being who I was. Can I be happy with these choices when my day consists of so little of my self if I am not willing to set my self aside?

I’m not convinced that it’s worth it, but I am pretty sure that it will be.

13 comments:

  1. You are definitely on to something, Megan. One of the things I made up my mind to do after I had Tobias was to continue with school. Some of the people in my class think I am crazy, that I should be home all the time with my baby, but that's just not me. Once I graduate, you better believe that I will jump right back in the workforce. Being away from my son for a few hours, and interacting with people on an adult level, helps me appreciate him all the more.

    I also think another thing that makes me appreciate my son all the more is how long I had to wait for him. I was married for 4 years plus before I conceived, after A LOT of trying. And that to me makes it worth it, despite the never-ending list of demands he makes of me. Though I too, miss the days when Pete and I could go out to a leisurely dinner and a movie, or sleep uninterrupted until mid-morning, or being able to do homework uninterrupted.

    I have no doubts that you love Sylvie, and perhaps you are not the ooshy-gooshy type who is obsessed with her baby's every move; that's ok. And it's also ok if you don't want to have another child. I suspect you don't need reassurance but there it is, just in case. And I wish you lived closer because I would make sure to give you at least one evening away from your role as a mom, so you could be more able to get in touch with your Megan-ness. Motherhood is a never-ending task (or lists thereof), and unfortunately we don't find out until we become mothers. And the payoff, I suspect, is seeing them become great adults.

    Turning my rambling self off now /end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day that I have to remind myself that I am a human being, not just a baby care machine, and I am relevant, I think about going back to work... but since I am lucky enough to not need the income, I can't bear the thought of putting the Pie in daycare right now. It will happen, I'm sure, just not yet.

    And why don't we find out about the adjustment until after? I mean I know that there's no way we can really know until we've experienced it, but no one tells us anything. No one warns us or gives us a heads up. I have a whole other post on that though...

    thanks for reading, and thanks for sharing! i think that some separation - physically and mentally, allows for more appreciation. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, right? well it also makes the mommy go less crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My head is currently telling me I don't want kids, and then my heart feels guilty because of all the mothers who say "my kids are my world," like I'm missing out on a woman's intended life if I don't have any. So thanks for the in depth perspective from the other side, for the heads up of what to expect if I do have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, a baby DOES become your world- whether you want her to be or not! I spent my whole life pretty certain that I did not want to have kids and would never get married. Then I got married, and although I still thought I didn't want kids (I was very familiar with childcare as an oldest child & nanny) but shortly after the rings were on my finger my bio alarm clock started ringing. And this is all about duality of feelings - having a baby doesn't seem "worth it" to me yet, BUT I can now totally see how moms can call their kids their best friends, something which I always thought was a little creepy, pathetic and weird before. I have another post coming about normal adjustment for new moms - things that no one tells us to expect. I think you'll appreciate that one, too. Having a baby is really the biggest change you can probably make in your life, and one I I'm still not sure I was ready to make, but I also can't imagine myself as an aged woman without her children around her. Oh god, I said children. Plural.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great great post, I got a lot out of that, you are me 7 years ago.......
    I am a much happier person when I am able to get away by myself for a while. I got a part-time job at Williams-Sonoma 3 years ago, and I think that saved me. Also, my husband appreciates my involvement with the kids more when he has to take care of them while I am selling pans and knives!
    I know your writing/blogging is your outlet, but what about taking a half hour walk every day BY YOURSELF? try it, see what happens.
    MOV
    mothersofbrothersblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey there MOV,
    How do you not spend your entire paycheck right in the store? Or maybe you do. I am pretty incapable of self-control in WS. They could pay me in store credit.

    Writing is my outlet, but I often forfeit showering and chores in order to write, which is not that great. That just means I'm home alone stinking and writing! (Or does that make me a writer?)

    I may try going for walks by myself. I used to walk every day, and it kept me sane. The same principle may work now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Megan,
    I once walked with you every day and we shared the good, the bad, and the ugly of life. I miss you and want you to know that, though we are far away, I will be your village. Just like the good ol' days. I want to be your ear and shoulder whenever you need me. I may not be able to take the load off you physically, but I will always listen. And, sometimes, I think just hearing a voice from your past may help. I love you and so appreciate your honesty.
    --Carlie

    ReplyDelete
  8. courtney - glad you like it. i don't know what it is about mustaches...they're hilarious.

    carlie - i can't say thank you enough. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness this post was my brain poured onto the screen. it's exactly what started me blogging. and i felt so mixed up for a while about talking about it, because it's so counter-culture, or counter-verbalized-culture.

    but the thing i could tell, the thing that made me feel so strongly that this is largely a sociocultural issue and not just a hormonal/brain chemistry one, is that the *second* the village showed up (eg a friend comes over, i go to work, i have a great conversation) i'd feel fine again. validated. seen. real.

    so glad i've found your blog. it's great to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so true about the "village" showing up. as soon as i had friends or family around who were holding my Pie, things were better. especially when i had friends who could relate, things were much better!

    it's gotten easier (or maybe i've just become more adjusted to and accepting of my new life) but i still sometimes don't think i will want to have another. i don't know how or why people have more than one kid! and i sometimes think that if i had had to care for a newborn for a month before deciding to have a baby, i may have made different choices.

    but as she's gotten old enough to be interacting, smiling, laughing, playing, and "hugging back" it makes it seem a little more worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's funny because in the past week (my son's just over 4 months) I've thought it's gotten a lot better too. and it hasn't been an easy week--we both have colds (again), lots of stuff fell through, I am super exhausted with the repetition--but it's been more engaging and rewarding, precisely because he feels another degree less like a newborn.

    newborn is HARD. I hope that it continues to get easier (meaning, more rewarding). I have thought too about whether I could ever do this again. Part of me (the crazy part, obvi) says yeah, and let's just get it over with soon, that many fewer years I spend nursing in a chair! But the other parts are mostly like "I think it might kill me" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can never quite tell if it's getting easier or if i'm just getting more used to this being how it is. the newborn period is harder than i imagined, even having had childcare experience my whole life! things are changing, and although i've never had that feeling that i didn't know what i was doing (thanks to all that childcare experience!) i've had plenty of moments where i wasn't sure if i could do it. i still think it might kill me, and i battle with whether or not to have another, and whether to get it over with or space it out (i'm voting maybe, and spaced out)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...