1.18.2011

adventures in baby feeding

We’re beginning to introduce solids to the Pie. She’s not eating solids as meals yet, really just tastes supplementing her standard fare of breast milk.

It’s fun though, to start giving her tastes of new things.

I had wondered why people start with rice cereal, and why bother with processed food as a first food – even if it is iron and vitamin enriched.

We started with sweet potatoes just before Christmas, and she loved them.

DSC_0728

Then last week we introduced butternut squash, and she also loved that.100_0424 Wow, apparently giraffe pajamas is the trying-new-food outfit.

And then, yesterday morning I decided to try a grain. We had some leftover quinoa after dinner the other night, so in the morning I made a slurry of quinoa processed with warm water. 100_0432  100_0429 100_0430 100_0431 100_0426

Baby did not like.

“I trusted you!” says baby.

I guess quinoa is kind of bitter.

I wish the photos were better, I was laughing so hard I couldn’t get the camera focused, improve the lighting or keep it still.

And I guess we’ll have to try another grain. I have some leftover oatmeal in the fridge.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love the quinoa photos! I can't decide which face is better the 2nd or the 3rd. I hope you'll give the Pie sometime before you ask her to try that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, aren't they great? The second photo is total shock - the third and fourth are just trying to fight through it. Poor Pie. We'll hold out on the quinoa for a while - at least until we can mix it with something that tastes better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nice thing is by photo 5 she looks like she's recovered. She's probably not scarred for life or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please note my humorous tone - in no way insinuating quinoa has scarred your precious Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she seems to have recovered quickly, but i'm not so sure it didn't cause lasting damage! she could be averse to all grains - or all things round - or all things starting with Qs.... there are so many ways to screw your kids up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...