12.13.2010

Naptime Success means Mama gets stuff done!

We’ve been using our new naptime routine for a few days now, which replicates our bedtime routine, and gets Pie to bed after being up for about 90 min to 2 hrs. We have naptime success!DSC_0237_thumb[4] I think she’s out. (Uh, yeah, that’s a mullet.)

DSC_0239_thumb I snuck out to take a picture of the clock. I couldn’t get rid of the reflection, but look how pretty the trees & grass are out those giant windows.

DSC_0244_thumb[1] I had to sneak back in, to see if it was real.

DSC_0245_thumbOK, we have officially chosen a new napping routine! We’ve already beat the recent best time in the swing! (Now watch – she’ll wake up screaming in 7 seconds.)

Well… 11:35. Game over. It was good while it lasted.

She seems to take longer naps in the afternoons, which is nice. I can get dinner prepped or – like today – make baby food and molasses spice cookies for my mountain man’s work party. Well the baby food isn’t for the party.

Today I made carrots. I steamed ‘em.  I used baby carrots, since I bought some at Costco the other day. I know baby carrots are really just shaved down grown-up carrots, but I didn’t want 50 pounds of carrots, and the babies were a good price. DSC_0365

Then whirred ‘em. Here I added some of the steaming water, since it needed some water to make a good puree, and the steaming water has some of the nutrients leeched out from the carrots during cooking. You can always use clean water, too. DSC_0377

Pretty, pretty puree.DSC_0379 

Slop it all in some ice cube trays and freeze them. DSC_0383

Then when they’re frozen, pop them out into a zip-top freezer bag to store. That way I can take one cube out, thaw it, add some breastmilk if I want to, and serve it up, one small portion at a time. Less waste!DSC_0399

Wow, the Pie is still out. I decided to make the molasses spice cookies that my mountain man wanted for his work party.

I creamed 12 tbsp softened butter with 1/3 cup sugar.DSC_0384 

I added 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar and creamed it in. Then added one egg yolk, 1 1/4 tsp vanilla, and beat until combined. Then 1/2 (plus a splash) of dark blackstrap unsulfured molasses. DSC_0385 

I mixed 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt together in a large bowl, then slowly beat it into the wet ingredients until combined. DSC_0389 

I rolled about 1tbsp of dough in some sugar and baked them at 375 for 10 minutes on my brand spankin’ new silpat!DSC_0390 

It was just enough for 2 dozen cookies!DSC_0391

And they look kinda yummy. DSC_0395

Now the Pie is up and it’s time to start dinner. Don’t know what to cook! Maybe we’ll just have cookies & carrots.

2 comments:

  1. My little one had a baby mullet too, it took the longest time for that to grow out.
    Congratulations on the nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi shannon! thanks - the nap thing had become a bit of a struggle. now we just have to work on the nighttime nursing!

    i kind of like her mullet. it's tacky, but if i put a bow in it, it's tacky in a fancy way. i'll be sad when it's gone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...