12.16.2010

Back when I was an awesome mom

There was a week there when I thought to myself:

I AM THE BEST MOM EVER!

My Pie wasn’t much of a fusser, she woke only once or twice at night to eat, and was generally easy. I had this parenting thing down. Why did people complain about how hard their babies were? Sure they take up all your time, your life is different, it’s isolated and exhausting… but if you do it right, like I was doing it, the babies would be mellow.

Ha!

Now she cranks, screeches, and fusses. She wiggles and wriggles and squirms. She arches her back and stiffens her legs. She wakes up 5 or more times a night (I lose track) to comfort suck – and nothing will quiet her like sticking a boob in her face.

I know some other people who are like that, too.

But also – now she has a bright red bum. It’s not really a rash, I think it’s a food sensitivity. But it’s kind of widespread.

And if you know how baby food sensitivities show up, you know what I mean. It’s a ring around the whole bum.

Every time I think I’ve got things figured out…

It’s like when I was little, and running around the playground. I always had my hands in my pockets. I don’t know why, I just loved having my hands, balled into little fists, crammed into the bottom of my pockets. And I would run. because I was awesome.

Oh yeah. I’ve got this.

Thwack!

It’s a wonder I never broke my face.

Remember what I said about false confidence? I think it might be more dangerous in the house (or on the playground) than it is in the woods.

So today we’re having some free range time.

DSC_0494We’re going to cloth diaper with a fleece liner as full-time as I can.

I don’t know what to do about the nighttime waking. If she cries, she wakes the mountain man up, and then he’s tired all day at work. So I just stick a boob in her face, she sucks for exactly 4.7 seconds, and falls back asleep. It isn’t a solution, but it stops the crying. And we’ve started doing a naptime routine, which is working pretty well for the cranks. I’m going to cut out dairy and wheat for a while, and see if that helps her bum. If I can’t have cheese though… I think I might die.

That, or formula feed.

3 comments:

  1. It is so frustrating when a normally good sleeper takes on a new routine of no sleep. I hope you find a solution soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks nicole, we'll figure something out soon. i just have to laugh at myself for ever thinking i've got things figured out! as soon as i think i do, it all changes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...