11.03.2010

Come smell my pot – Oatmeal Scones

These are my go-to, easy baked good. I’ll be making a fresh batch for a bake sale at a rock show. I’m serious. Rain City Rock Camp for Girls is hosting a show to raise funds for its summer camp program and the international Girls Rock Camp Alliance.
P1010892
Since I’m too old for staying out late at rock shows, I’ll be baking some goodies to be sold at the show. I’m planning to make cheese bread, oatmeal scones, and my first attempt at a vegan, gluten-free cookie recipe that I found here. Wish me luck!

At least I know the scones will turn out well. This recipe is adapted from my go-to cook book, the America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.
  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups AP flour (I often use whole wheat)
  • 1/2 cup sugar plus some extra for sprinkling on top
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 10 Tbsp butter, cut into small cubes & chilled
With rack in middle position, heat oven to 375. Spread the oats on a baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes, stirring as needed. Let cool on a wire rack. Increase oven temp to 450. Measure out 2 Tbsp of cooled oats and set aside for counter. Run the baking sheet under cold water to cool completely and dry it with a towel. Line it with parchment paper.

Whisk the milk, cream and egg together in a large measuring cup. Remove 1 Tbsp into a small bowl for glazing.

Pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a good processor until combined. Scatter the chilled butter cubes and process until it looks like coarse sand or cornmeal, about 15 pulses.

Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the cooled oats. (It is important to make sure the oats are cooled completely so that they don’t soften the butter. Gently stir in the milk mixture using a rubber spatula until large clumps form. Knead the mixture in the bowl by hand until it becomes a cohesive mass.

Dust the counter with half the reserved oats and turn the dough out onto it, putting the remaining reserved oats on top. Pat the dough out into a circle about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges and place on the baking sheet. Brush with the reserved milk mixture and sprinkle with reserved sugar. (Instead of regular white sugar, you can also use colored or turbinado sugar)

Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Let scones cool on baking sheet on trivet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.

~I love to bake these before a camping trip, or the day before house guests are coming. As a special treat I’ll bake these so my husband can have them for breakfast instead of boring old toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...