11.11.2010

Come smell my pot – Italian Wedding Soup

I like to cook. I really really like to cook. I’ve considered going to culinary school, becoming a personal chef, or having a home business selling prepared meals. The problem for me is that all these things will require that I follow a recipe, or make something the same way every time.

I use recipes mostly as (suggested) ingredient lists and recommendation for cooking techniques. This recipe doesn’t have a lot of flavorings added – I like to include things like mojo de ajo, crushed fennel, parmesan, herbs de Provence, cayenne, even balsamic vinegar – whatever I’m feeling like it needs that day. If I don’t have chicken broth I’ll use beef broth. If I don’t have peppers I’ll throw some carrots in.

For me, the most important part of cooking is building the flavors. Slow-cooking the pot of things that had been individually roasted all day long is the best way to do this. The easiest way, I find, is to caramelize the onions in nearly any recipe, roast veggies (all together) before adding them, or using roasted garlic. Finish with strong flavors. These extra steps make it seem like you slaved over the stove all day long. And when Logan comes home from work, I can proudly ask him to head over to the stove and “come smell my pot”.

 

P1030456

Italian Wedding Soup

This is a healthy, low-fat version of wedding soup. Use even less oil when sautéing to reduce the fat content. If using a non-stick pan to sauté the meatballs, you only need a tiny amount to aid in browning.

  • 1 onion, sliced thin
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
  • 1 bag baby spinach
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 cup matzoh, more reserved if needed
  • 32 oz chicken stock
  • Salt & pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Additional flavorings (whatever seems good!)

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a sauté pan. Form meatballs with turkey, salt & pepper and matzoh. Brown meatballs on all sides and set aside.

In a heavy bottomed pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add sliced onions. Caramelize. Add sliced bell pepper and saute until softened. Add chicken stock and bring to boil Add meatballs and allow to cook through. Because of the matzoh, the meatballs will “fluff” as they cook in the broth – this makes them huge, and they seem much more indulgent than they are. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt & pepper.

Can be served with short noodles & shaved parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...